COVID-19 Lockdown Update
Stockwell’s would like to update customers in regards to the current lockdowns in place by the government.
Please be reminded that Stockwell International is an essential service, with some staff still in office and some working from home – our work from home plans are in place and all essential staff are able to carry on working with no disruption to your service.
For more info on Australia’s restrictions and current lockdowns, click here.
For any questions or concerns please contact your sales rep or [email protected]
Delays grow at ports around Yantian
Maersk said that yard density at Nansha had reached 100% as of June 21, and the line expects continued delays upwards of four to five days over the next week. Nansha will only accept laden export containers seven-days prior to a vessel’s ETA and only once the terminal confirms advance registration by trucking companies.
Supply of 40-foot containers continues to be tight in Yantian and Shekou, with Maersk advising customers to use 20-foot containers as an alternative.
Shekou port, which includes Chiwan Container Terminal, Mawan Container Terminal and Shekou Container Terminal, has tightened its rules to only accept export laden gate-in four days prior to a vessel’s ETA.
For Yantian itself, Maersk reported operations in the eastern area of the terminal were at about 54% of normal capacity and gradually recovering, with yard density reduced to 60%. Maersk expects delays at Yantian ‘upwards of four days’ in the coming week. On June 17, delays of up to 16 days were reported by Maersk.
The list of vessels omitting Yantian operated by Maersk and its partners reached 90, up from 84 last week. Import laden containers on those vessels are expected to be delayed for over three weeks.
Capacity at Yantian was slashed after a Covid-19 outbreak lowered staffing levels and disinfection work disrupted operations. Export containers were stopped for the six days to June 15. The port is gradually increasing productivity as workers return.
INDUSTRIAL ACTION REDUCES PATRICK RAIL CAPACITY AT SYDNEY BY 25%
PATRICK Terminals’ rail capacity at its Sydney AutoStrad has been reduced by 25% at Sydney due to increasing and ongoing industrial action.
The Maritime Union of Australia’s industrial action at Patrick’s Sydney operation now includes one-our stops each shift at 0500, 1300 and 2100 until 15 July.
A statement from the company said this development, combined with ‘refusal to work through meal breaks (general standard practice to enable operational continuity)’, is causing the 25% reduction in operational working time.
The company said this industrial action is impacting the Sydney rail service, as the timing of the stoppages mean that available operations within rail windows is limited.
Patrick said it has made adjustments to rail windows including reducing the capacity allocated from 4300 lifts per week to 3200 lifts per week during the period, with the cancellation of 12 of 56 windows. The company said it would seek to re-instate the rail windows as soon as possible.
‘We have engaged with all rail operators early to provide notice and assistance to work through the disruption, however, there will be an impact on customers,’ the company said.
‘Patrick Terminals will continue to work closely with rail operators to minimise disruption and provide options to maximise throughput during this period of industrial action by the MUA.’
The company said it continues to engage with the MUA in an effort to provide relief to the ‘onerous’ impacts of the industrial action, without success to date.
Patrick Terminals CEO Michael Jovicic said Patrick has held formal meetings with the MUA over the past 18 months in an effort to come to a mutually acceptable agreement.
‘We believed that we were close to agreement when the MUA launched this completely unnecessary industrial action last month. I am concerned that one of the biggest harvests in recent years is now being threatened,’ Mr Jovicic said.
‘We are doing everything that we can to reach an agreement, but the MUA seems determined to disrupt the supply chain at this critical time in pursuit of their own demands.’
Paul Zalai, director of Freight & Trade Alliance and secretariat to the Australian Peak Shippers Association said Patrick has made the ‘unilateral decision to cancel a significant proportion of rail windows from 24 June to 15 July 2021’.
‘This action conducted without any consultation with exporters, will have devastating economic impacts on the New South Wales economy. We remain uncertain how much suffering is required before this action can be the prerequisite trigger required to again take proceedings before the commissions,’ Mr Zalai said.
‘Additional cost is one factor; however, a critical concern for the entire import and export supply-chain is that with a bumper season for the agriculture sector, container volumes will quickly mount at these transition points with the intermodals and empty container parks likely to very quickly become heavily congested.’
Mr Zalai said despite constructive engagement with government and port representatives there are no workable contingency measures in an environment whereby Patrick maintains their position of cancelled rail windows.
‘We are now seeking an urgent meeting with Patrick executives, but we do not expect that they will deviate away from their position, nor are we confident that that they and the MUA are likely to settle their differences after what has been an extensive and prolonged negotiation,’ Mr Zalai said.
FTA and APSA informed members today that the peak industry alliance is escalating its advocacy to the Attorney General for immediate FWC intervention and for the federal government to initiate a broader review on waterfront industrial relations.
Posted by Ian Ackerman for the DCN www.thedcn.com.au
Biosecurity Bears Down
LEGISLATION passed Parliament on Wednesday giving courts access to higher penalties that reflect the true seriousness of biosecurity non-compliance.
Minister for agriculture David Littleproud said the proposed Biosecurity Amendment (Strengthening Penalties) Act 2021 will increase the penalties for 28 civil and criminal provisions under the Biosecurity Act 2015.
‘The Australian government is committed to a strong biosecurity system that protects Australian agriculture and jobs, grows our exports and, importantly, maintains our environment and lifestyle from devastating pests and diseases, which we can insure against with the correct system in place,’ Mr Littleproud said.
‘The new legislation sends a clear message to individuals and companies who put at risk Australia’s $66 billion agriculture industry and over $1 trillion in environmental assets by contravening the Biosecurity Act 2015.
‘Upscaling penalties brings urgently needed reform to ensure the punishment fits the crime for those who intentionally put Australia’s environment, animal, plant and human health at risk.
‘If you intentionally contravene Australia’s biosecurity laws, you could now cop significant jail time and a bigger fine of up to $1.11 million.
‘These penalties are on top of those that came into effect in January and we have also sent 14 travellers packing at their own expense.
‘Pests such as brown marmorated stink bug have the potential to decimate our crops and do untold damage to our natural environment and pose a continual threat.
‘Highly contagious animal diseases such as foot and mouth disease would be devastating for Aussie farmers, agricultural industries, our trade, environment and economy if there were an outbreak in Australia.
‘The increased maximum penalties reflect the seriousness impact contraventions may inflict on our biosecurity status, market access and economy. In some cases, they are up to eight times the current penalty. They are no longer merely a cost of doing business.
‘The amendments focus on individuals and businesses, such as commercial importers and biosecurity industry participants, that have a particular responsibility to know and understand their obligations under the act and take necessary steps to comply with the law.
‘The message is clear: comply with Australia’s biosecurity requirements or feel the full force of the law.’
The new penalties build on the response to recommendations in the Inspector-General of Biosecurity’s 2017 review into the effectiveness of biosecurity controls for the import of uncooked prawn and prawn products.
Posted by Ian Ackerman for the Daily Cargo News.
Bookings to Bangladesh Temporarily Suspended
Stockwell International has received on booking restrictions for Bangladesh. Due to the high volume of cargo moving from Asia to Bangladesh combined with operational delays in Chittagong due to Ramadan and Eid Holidays a backlog of cargo in Singapore has developed.
To clear the back log we have received instructions, with immediate effect, to Chittagong as follows:
- “Cargo that has already been booked and en route will continue to be served, but we would expect changes considering the current backlog in Singapore.
- Alternatively route your cargo via Colombo, where dwell times regretfully remain above 14 days.
- If you would prefer to discuss alternative routing options, please contact your local office who are looking forward to helping you. They will ensure that you are assisted and presented with all the workable options related to your individual situation.”
For more information please contact your sales rep on 1300 786 468 or [email protected]
IMO 2020 Low Sulphur Update
Please see notice in regard to IMO2020 Surcharge for Australia Imports effective 1st July 2021.
For more information please contact your sales rep on 1300 786 468 or [email protected]